Facts and information about the Baltimore Ravens
- The Baltimore Ravens came into existence when owner Art Modell moved his Cleveland Browns there in 1996. Modell was forced to leave behind all rights to the Browns past records and history.
- When it came to naming the new Baltimore franchise, the final three names were Ravens, Americans, and Marauders.
- The Ravens first Head Coach was Ted Marchibroda.
- Ravens star linebacker Ray Lewis had some famous teammates at the University of Miami, including Warren Sapp and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.
In 2003 linebacker Ray Lewis led all middle linebackers, and tied the all-time record for middle linebackers, with six interceptions.
In 2004, backup quarterback Kordell Stewart won the Special Teams Player of the Week award for his effort filling in for the injured punter.
In Hall-of-Fame running back Barry Sanders final game, the Baltimore Ravens held him to just 41 rushing yards.
The 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense set the record for fewest points allowed in a 16 game season with 165 (just over ten points a game).
After the 2000 season, linebacker Ray Lewis accumulated the following awards: unanimous All-Pro, started the Pro Bowl, Defensive Player of the Year, and Super Bowl XXXV MVP.
In 51 consecutive games stretching from 1998 to 2001, the Baltimore Ravens defense did not allow any running back to gain over 100 yards.
- The Ravens changed team logos after their third season due to a lawsuit by a security guard who had designed the logo and faxed it to the team headquarters but had never gotten credit or paid for his design.
- Before the Ravens first home game in 1996, the first NFL game in Baltimore since the Colts had moved to Indianapolis in 1984, former Colt Quarterback Johnny Unitas delivered the game ball to the officials while wearing his old Colts jersey.
- Former Washington Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke tried for years to prevent a professional football team from coming back to Baltimore after the Colts left. He cited Baltimore as Washington Redskins territory.
WOULD YOU LIKE A LINK TO YOUR WEBSITE TO APPEAR ON THIS PAGE? CLICK HERE!