One of the better defensive players of the 2000s, specifically among linebackers, has been the Chicago Bears‘ Brian Urlacher. He made an impact on the team almost immediately after joining it as the 9th overall selection in the 2000 NFL Draft. He has gone on to win many awards and to become known around the country as another of the many great defensive players the Bears have had on their roster at one time or another.
Here is a look at 20 interesting facts about Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher.
– Brian Urlacher was born on May 25th, 1978 in Pasco, Washington which combines with Richland and Kennewick to form the Tri-Cities.
– Though known as one of the fiercest linebackers in the NFL, he has also won the Special Teams Player of the Week Award during his career.
– In 2001, Brian Urlacher led the entire NFL in fumble return yards.
– His full name is Brian Keith Urlacher.
– In high school, Urlacher played running back, wide receiver, defensive back, and kick returner on a team he would help lead to a 14-0 record and a New Mexico state high school football championship.
– At the University of New Mexico, Brian Urlacher majored in Criminology.
– While at the University of New Mexico, Urlacher not only was a standout defensive player, he also caught six touchdown passes and returned five kicks for touchdowns.
– Brian Urlacher finished 12th in balloting for the Heisman Trophy Award in 1999.
– Urlacher was named starting strongside linebacker at the beginning of his rookie season in the NFL. He would lose his starting job though in the first game of his career. Two weeks later he would gain the starting middle linebacker job thanks to an injury to Barry Minter and it is there that he would excel.
– In week 14 of the 2001 NFL season, Bears punter Brad Maynard faked a field goal attempt and passed the ball to Brian Urlacher for a touchdown. Through 2010, this is the only offensive touchdown of his career.
– Through 2010, the most sacks that Brian Urlacher has accumulated in one season is eight and those came in his rookies season in 2000.
– Brian Urlacher appeared on a charity edition of Wheel of Fortune and won $47,000 for his charity.
– In 2002, Urlacher recorded the only pass attempt of his career. It unfortunately fell incomplete.
– At one time, Urlacher was signed to appear and wrestle in a NWA-TNA professional wrestling pay-per-view event. When the Chicago Bears found out about it, his participation was altered so as not to risk injury.
– The most tackles he has recorded in one year is 118 in 2002.
– Through 2010, Brian Urlacher has scored three touchdowns in his career: a fumble return against the Falcons in 2001, a fake field goal reception against the Redskins in 2001, and an interception return against the Packers in 2007. All three touchdowns came in the fourth quarter.
– Through 2010, the Bears have won all three games in which Brian Urlacher has scored a touchdown.
– Urlacher’s first career interception came in week four of his rookie year and happened in a 21-14 loss to the Detroit Lions.
– Urlacher’s first career sack came in week three of his rookie year and happened in a 14-7 loss to the New York Giants.
– His first multi-sack game also came during his rookie season. In a week seven 28-16 loss to the Minnesota Vikings, Urlacher recorded two sacks.