Here’s a good question submitted to us by Matt in Washington State. Matt wants to know which team has gone the longest without a Pro Bowl quarterback?
Quarterbacks are pretty important to the overall success of a football team, and making the Pro Bowl is a good sign that a team has a quarterback that can do the job.
Here though are the top ten (well, eleven because of ties) teams, through the 2009 Pro Bowl roster, that have waited the longest since their last Pro Bowl quarterback.
10. (tie) San Francisco 49ers – Jeff Garcia in 2003
10. (tie) Buffalo Bills – Drew Bledsoe in 2003
9. Oakland Raiders – Rich Gannon in 2002
7. (tie) Washington Redskins – Brad Johnson in 2000
7. (tie) Jacksonville Jaguars – Mark Brunell in 2000
6. New York Jets – Vinny Testaverde in 1998
5. Green Bay Packers – Brett Favre in 1997
4. Baltimore Ravens – Vinny Testaverde in 1996
3. Miami Dolphins – Dan Marino in 1993
2. Chicago Bears – Jim McMahon in 1985
1. Detroit Lions – Greg Landry in 1972 (37 years!!!)
Interesting to note, Vinny Testaverde is the last quarterback to make it to the Pro Bowl for both the Ravens and the Jets. There are two other quarterbacks that pull off this double shot. Jeff Garcia, who made the list as the last quarterback to make it to the Pro Bowl with the 49ers, is also the last quarterback to make it to the Pro Bowl for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2008). Drew Brees is the last quarterback to make it to the Pro Bowl for both the New Orleans Saints (2009) and the San Diego Chargers (2005).